Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I did it!

So, as I mentioned in the previous blog, one of my goals for 2009 is to run a 5K race. I have been training pretty steadily since Thanksgiving (got a little off due to strep before Christmas, but getting back slowly). Anyways, tonight, I really didn't want to run on the treadmill, but I made myself. Warmed up walking for 2 minutes, then ran a mile. Walked another 2 minutes, ran another mile. Now, this second mile is most definitely harder, but I had done this run on Monday so I was like...don't be a wimp..you've done it once, do it again! The last quarter was killer but I did it. And then this crazy thought came to my mind as I was finishing (must be the oxygen depravation)...why don't you just try and do a total of running/walking of 3.1 miles = 5K? Just for kicks!


So after the second mile, I let myself walk back down to normal and ran another .76 miles (yes, .76 not .75...believe me, that hundredth of a mile is meaningful to short legs!).

I did a 5K in 37:37!!!!!

Now, yes, I was on a treadmill which is not as hard as running outside. But I have found that running outside is easier for me because there is something to keep my mind occupied. In the garage, I continually run toward this dot on the garage door but never quite get to it. Crazy. Outside, I can look at houses, cars, people, etc. The mind is definitely my weakness when running.

So yeah! You must understand that I have EXTREMELY short legs. My best friend Kristen (who is 6 foot) and I wore pedometers for a couple months at school. We would walk the same distance to the other building, but I would have taken twice as many steps as she! I always have to get my pants hemmed! It's like a built-in expense to buying the pants. So this is a big accomplishment! The other two times in my life that I have really gotten into running I lost 30 pounds one time and 20 pounds the other. (Unfortunately, gained the 30 pounds back through the first couple years of teaching and the 20 I still don't have, but was primarily Emma pregnancy/stress weight.) So I am trying to be diligent in not only running, but also what I eat and drink. so here's to being healthier!!


And here's to the hot bath that awaits my aching legs.... :)

4 comments:

Julia said...

That is so great, Laura! When I get to the 6 or 8 week postpartum mark, I'm going to get serious about the exercise and diet routine because I have a LOT of weight to lose and I really want to live more healthily than I have in the past few years. It is motivating to hear other people having success in their goals. :)

angela.webster said...

how awesome is that? I started running as well I wanted to be able to do some run's in the Spring. I used to love running. Maybe we could do a run together?

Keep up the good work. :)

kyna said...

Yay Laura!! I totally agree the mental part is the hardest part of running. I have gotten to the point that I refuse to run on a tredmill because I hate it so much and I love running outside. Granted if I would run on a tredmill I would run more often. :) Proud of you my friend, keep it up!

Krista said...

You should run the Zoo Run Run at the Ft. Worth zoo. Its in April... I'm running in it with my sister and a couple of friends. It will be fun!